Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I'm back, bitches.

Nothing is quite so therapeutic as writing.  In my case, I write in order to communicate with others, so keeping a diary seems pretty futile to me.  The same type of feeling of futility seems to arise anytime I've been in the position of trying to explain "blogging" to someone and why we do it.  The best I've been able to come up with is the comparison to a weekly column in a newspaper or magazine; an occasional blog update from someone you know, whose writing you enjoy, or a personality you find interesting can be a great way to break up your day.  But really, in the end, blogs are almost always in place as a form of self-satisfaction, promotion, or verbal masturbation for the writer.  That being said, I have no qualms nor do I offer any apologies for what you will (or won't) read here.  It's my blog, and I'll write what I want to.

On that note, I offer you the below.  A series I'm affectionately calling, "Not Cool," through which I will explore the dos and don'ts of big city behaviour. 

Not Cool: The Cafe Edition

Cities.  Metropoli, if you will.  They're-big-ass places, and they're up to the gills with people.  This gives a whole new meaning to personal space.  I figure, the only way that we're all going to survive while wedged in like sardines is to remember that everyone around you is equally human, equally exhausted, equally easily-upset, etc.  I believe that common sense and courtesy are the best ways to get along with each other, and I'm well-aware that this is not a new idea.  Human beings have been claiming to live by this idea or one like it for centuries.  But that being the case, you would think it wouldn't be so hard to get people to behave like they're not the only person in the entire city.

Today's case-in-point, one of my biggest pet peeves, people who take up too much room in tiny cafes.  It seems pretty self-explanatory that one patron gets one chair, and one table. Two patrons, a chair each and they split a table, if they're together.  If not, then they should feel free to spread out to two tables and a chair each.

So when I see stuff like this, it really drives up my blood pressure:


These lovely people clearly felt that not only did their butts each need a chair, but their stuff also needed to rest after a gruelling day of being a jerk.  This was in a crowded cafe in one of the busiest areas of the city with only a few spare spots left.  I just don't get how they can sprawl so freely without feeling the least bit uncomfortable about how many people might also like to sit down.

Not cool.  Move your stuff.  It's fine on the floor.  The floor is no dirtier than your hands or the table off of which you're having your snack.

1 comment:

  1. Same for the people in Dr's offices, the bus and the library. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

    ReplyDelete